Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals

Subject: Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals
From: Ann Mackenzie <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:52:37 -0400

In a message dated 97-06-10, Kelly Halbritter wrote:

<< My company is implementing a new program in which we send our customers
pages of information for each software release. The customer can then
insert these pages into their existing documentation set (three-ring
binder format). These pages will either replace existing pages, or will
take the form of additional pages to be inserted into the middle of
documents.

Biggest problem with doing this is that many people will not take the time to
insert the pages, they'll get lost or stacked in corners, and phone calls to
your help line will escalate.

>How do you handle page numbering with this a plan like this? Replacing
old pages and inserting new ones in the middle of chapters is going to
wreak havoc on the continuity of the page numbering, which leads to my
next concern...

Page numbering can be 15a, 15b, etc. That inevitably leads to pages
containing only the sentence "This page intentionally left blank." When
pages are deleted, no paper or time is saved, because you'll have to insert a
page containing the above label. Oh yes, be sure to date each page, because
when your customers call to verify that they have the updated version, you
will need to read the correct date for each page to them.

>How do you handle the inevitiable obsolescence of the manual TOCS
everytime additional pages are sent to the customer?

Don't worry Kelly, you will have so much additional work keeping track of the
changes, you won't have time to worry about the TOC.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I've seen the results of this type of
paper-saving scheme.
Much better, IMO, is an entire-manual insert for the 3-ring binder (with
instructions to recycle all the pages of the old manual) included with the
software update.

Good luck Ann