user surveys -- I need advice, samples

Subject: user surveys -- I need advice, samples
From: Sarah Perrault <sarahp -at- KEYSAFE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:02:39 -0700

The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things
Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax, and what to put in to a user survey.

I'm finally working on a product with a known set of users, so now
I want to find out more about them. At this point I know:

What they do -- Realtors and real estate brokers
Where they live -- All over the US and Canada

That's not much information.

I have many thoughts on what to ask them, but am quite sure I'm missing
lots of good ideas.

If you have suggestions, please send them. If you have actual user
surveys you're willing to send, that's great too.

The kinds of things I have thought to ask about are age, education level,
sex, if they have computers at home, asking them if they use various common
applications such as Word, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions/samples/advice,

Sarah