Re: Signs at work & the juggling act

Subject: Re: Signs at work & the juggling act
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:25:47 -0500

One of my favorite signs is as follows:

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my
part!"

The juggling act thread is somewhat reminiscent of a discussion this
forum had in January. I think it was in response to a job posting that
described a pressure-packed environment where extended hours were
required. Several people responded that they were turned off by the job
description and went into diatribes about companies require too much of
people.

I took some flak when I responded that the job sounded like a vacation
compared to the way I usually work. My response was the "I'm the guy
you still see working when you leave ... I'm in on many Saturdays ...,
and so forth" I discussed this topic with many people off line. The
following is a summary of my observations:

-- The amount (or perception of the amount) of time spent on the work
depends on your interest in the subject matter, writing, tools, and so
forth. Personally, I'm a technologist and can't get enough new
software, techniques, features, transcribing of abstract technical
concepts, and so forth. It's like a hobby, only I get paid for it. Put
me in a job writing Marketing literature and 5 pm may not come early
enough.

-- Variety of job duties. Interest in the job and the perception of
elapsed time in the workday differ with the variety of duties. My
duties include writing, programming, multimedia, and running an
automation lab for support staff. A few years ago I strictly wrote text
(MASS11 on VAX if anyone else has suffered through the same). No
graphics, no WYSIWYG, just text. I put the extra effort in but it was
more like doing exercises than indulging in a hobby.

-- The amount of control a person has over their document design,
content, tools used, standards set or adhered to, and so forth can
affect a writer's attitude toward the job. It depends on whether you
are steering the boat, riding in the boat, or paddling against the
current.

-- Much depends on whether you view the work as a career or just a job.
This perception may even be generational.

-- Commuting distance and time add to the work day. I now commute 7
minutes instead of 70 minutes each way.

-- Family responsibilities. Little league, school plays, sickly
relative, and so forth compete for time with work responsibilities. I
applaud anyone who can place their family first and still advance in
their career. I also applaud those who chose to stall their career to
support family. Personally, I don't have children (and thus, do not
have this large portion in the family vs. work equation).

-- Downsizing. People are laid-off, but job responsibilities are not.
Those that can and are willing to extend themselves increase their
chances of surviving a cut-back in personnel. This may strike us cold
but it seems to be a fact of life in business. Anyone who's been laid
off for an extended time may not view longer working hours with the same
disdain as someone who has not.

-- The fresh look at the material approach works and doesn't work for
me. If I'm writing, often a break from the writing shakes the cobwebs
from my thinking. However, if I'm programming, I have so many things
I'm trying to juggle that if I break from the work, I forget them.
Thus, I have to start over. It works better for me to 'woodshed' these
problems.

-- People you work for and with. Though personally I enjoy working
independently, having a good mix of people beats having a poor mix of
people hands down.

Mike

Michael Wing (mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)