Re: Alternative word for "execute"

Subject: Re: Alternative word for "execute"
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:45:18 -0700

Carl Stieren asked for some alternative words for "execute" in regard to
software.

>>>Her reasons, as I remember them, were:
>1. Internationalization: One word should have one meaning, and execution
>means the putting to death of a human being by the state as a penalty for
>certain crimes (while the death penalty has been abolished by Canada, some
countries still execute people for certain crimes)<<

=================================

Whoa! According to my dictionary, execute has SIX meanings, only one of
which (the third one) has to do with capital punishment. All five of the
other definitions are about "carrying out" and "performing" actions. Oh,
and this particular dictionary is 20 years old, so it doesn't even
include the software definition of execute. So make that at least seven
meanings...

(Yes, I know, I need a new dictionary.)

"Run" is the best synonym going as far as software is concerned. I can
use "run" in a sentence: Finding an alternative word for "execute" is a
>fine example of political correctness run amok.

Seriously, back to your final question: ".... an executable format."
(Or something close to that. Sorry, I got delete-happy and accidentally
deleted too much.) Hmmm. "...in a format able to run independently."
Naaaahh. Tough one. Good luck.