Word display problems--a NORMAL.DOT virus?

Subject: Word display problems--a NORMAL.DOT virus?
From: "J. Shaw" <Jack -dot- Shaw -at- SAGUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:29:10 -0700

I saw the question about two people with Gateway PCs
getting two presentations of the same exact .doc file here, right?

When no, then scratch this. When yes, I'd suggest two things:

1. Make sure you haven't inadvertantly diddled your NORMAL.DOT
file (this assumes that NORMAL.DOT is your template file
for the thing you're trying to look at. One of your two
platforms may have a changed/corrupted template file (item
3 of this two-item list deals with the latter...).

2. Make sure your two platforms REALLY ARE the same--like, they
are using the same font sets to present the file in question.

3. Do a thorough check for the concept virus using the latest
.DAT (we're talking McAfee here...) file before you do. The
concept virus corrupts your NORMAL.DOT file without you meaning
to...this could smoosh your expected results. There are umpteen
flavors of this concept crud out there...

4. Never believe me when I say I'm offering you two suggestions...

J.