Re: X-Windows or X Windows??

Subject: Re: X-Windows or X Windows??
From: "Houser, Alan" <arh -at- CLARITECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:16:13 -0400

clifford -at- fp -dot- com writes:

"X Window System", without a hyphen, is how MIT uses it in its
trademark. (I.e., "X Window System is a trademark of the
Massachusetts
Institute of Technology.")

If it were me, I would say "X Windows-based applications".

This suggestion violates the wishes of the trademark holder. From the
X Version 11 man page:

> The X Consortium requests that the following names be used when
> referring to this software:

> X Window System
> X Version 11
> X Window System, Version 11
> X11
>
> X Window System is a trademark of X Consortium, Inc.

"X Windows" is not a proper way to refer to this software. Something
like "Applications based on the X Window System" would be
appropriate.

-Alan