Re: techwr job stats & curriculum

Subject: Re: techwr job stats & curriculum
From: Kathryn Marshall <kmarsh -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 12:28:46 -0700

Stuart Burnfield wrote:

> > Brief curriculum outline (4 main areas)
> >
> > Basic computer skills:
> > Windows 3.11/95/NT
> > OO concepts: C++, and Java
> > UNIX/DOS
>
> I'm curious to know what you would teach technical-writing students about
> Windows (ubiquitous), DOS (obsolescent), and UNIX (pretty much Windows-
> plus-superDOS, from the user's perspective).

As a former technical writing student, I think students only need to
learn the basics -- how to "get around" in these operating systems so
they look like they have a clue at their new job. My school had a
required computer class for ALL students, where we learned these basics.
I don't think it's necessary to teach students how to write for Windows
users, DOS users, etc. The technical writing courses I took focused more
on writing style, how to evaluate the audience, the writing (and
rewriting process), interviewing subject matter experts, etc. It is
impossible (and not necessary in my opinion) to teach technical writing
students computer programming -- although having a little knowledge of
different programming environments is very useful. I was only required
to take Pascal. I've never used it in the 5 years since I graduated, but
I do understand basic programming logic, which has made it easier for me
to get along just fine in various work environments (C, C++, VB, etc.).

Just my two cents,
Kathy