Re: Flowcharts in web pages

Subject: Re: Flowcharts in web pages
From: Bob Bench <BoBB -at- SLC -dot- TWC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:21:32 -0600

Paul Ryken said: (snip) "the thought of all these images
downloading on the web pages while the CSR's are talking to
customers doesn't impress me no matter how fast the pipe or
their machines are."

I have put numerous flowcharts on my company's intranet.
They are reasonably small, only about 20 kbytes.
The challenge to get as much information as possible into
one screen in a form that will be readable on the smallest
monitor and at the lowest resolution that you are willing to
support. We have decided that a 17 inch monitor with 600 x
800 resolution is our worst case configuration. Ten point
Verdana type is readable under these conditions. With
experience you discover various techniques for packing as
much information as possible into a 9.5 inch by 5 inch
browser window without sacrificing readability.
I draw the charts in Visio, then save them as two-color gifs
(or 16-color gifs if a need something other than black and
white). The down-load times for these charts are not
excessive on our intranet.

Bob Bench
Technical Writer
Northwest Pipeline Corp.