Java synonyms

Subject: Java synonyms
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:33:27 -0500

David Castro noted <<We just found out that while our new
product will compile to Java code, we cannot afford to pay
Sun the 6-figure fee to become a licensee. Therefore, we
cannot call our manual (or the product) XYZ for Java. Is
there any other accepted name for Java?>>

Well, the simple answer is to call your product
"Java-compatible", but I wouldn't be surprized if Sun has
that trademarked as part of their "100% pure Java"
initiative. Janice, can you field this one?

The next best solution is to say "Product X has been
designed to be compatible with Sun's Java language". I'm
reasonably comfortable that this particular wording can't
be trademarked and is therefore safe.