Re: where to buy books

Subject: Re: where to buy books
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:29:58 -0700

On Jun 4, 12:26pm, Phillip Winn wrote:
> Umm, gosh, sorry, although I am not a resident of Portland, and it isn't
> *exactly* always considered a *coastal* city, I should point out that the
> Mack-Daddy of independent bookstores is on the web. Powell's has been
> around since 1971, I believe, which makes it somewhat oldish, and
> definitely had a cafe long before certain other bookstores made them
> fashionable.

An amusing sidenote: Powell's is now so large that there has been a
backlash against them from other Portland independent bookstores (similar
to the usual complaining from independent bookstores when large chains
move in). It is very difficult for other independents to compete against
Powell's.

Another feature of Powell's is that they buy and sell lots of used books, so
it is possible to get incredible bargains there.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation