Re: newbie needs advice

Subject: Re: newbie needs advice
From: John Gough <gough -at- AUSTIN -dot- ASC -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:20:16 -0500

>>The way I see it, there are a few different directions I could take...
>>2. Stay where I am...I'm the closest thing
>>to a tech writer at my company...
>>3. Find a position as a junior tech writer at a company that has an
>>experienced/established documentation department where I could "learn the
>>ropes."
>
>Susan Gallagher responded:
>My opinion -- as a hiring manager -- more schooling isn't going to make
>you any more attractive as a prospective employee. You've got a degree.
>Now you need experience. And you might as well get some where you are
>before you head out for different (but not necessarily greener) pastures.

In my experience, both as a writer and a hiring manager:

People with some academic background in technical writing

1. have a better opportunity to make balanced decisions in technical writing,
because they have been exposed to a broader range of possibilities.
A downside of learning on the job is that you typically learn only
one way to approach a problem per project. If you stay with one
organization a long time (especially a large one), you may have
difficulty getting a broad perspective. Of course, if you're
successful and happy there you might not need it. :-)
2. are able to communicate more effectively to management about the benefits
of improving documentation
3. are more effective peers with other technical writers, particularly
in team problem-solving
4. have more tools in their belt

Some people can acquire the equivalent perspective and knowledge without
going to school. Of the writers I've encountered, they are definitely
in the minority, though some of the exceptions are truly talented.
Some people lack the perspective despite attending
a program. :-) [n.b. this issue is beat to death semi-annually on this list.]

There are other factors in being an effective technical
writer--enthusiasm, self-discipline, organization, curiosity,
and technical aptitude are some.

Finding a doc department where you could learn more *and* taking
a night course or two would be a balanced way to go if you want
to learn more. If you think you'll have more opportunities
where you are, that could work too. I know one large-company
VP who started out as a lone TW (she had a lit degree)--IMO,
she had a limited perspective on doc-product opportunities
from growing up that way, but you can't argue about her success
in money/power terms. The risk factor there is that your
management will work you hard and then hire someone in over your head.
You need to be an excellent political player to go this route.

You said you were "eating up" what STC was offering you--you're a good
candidate for enjoying and benefitting from more studies, even though
you have a journalism degree. Some tech schools and universities
offer a certificate program (and you may be able to skip courses
that duplicate what you learned in journalism).

You may find that the advice breaks down along experiential lines. :-)
I do have some academic background in TW, and there are several
times in my career where it has helped me. I'm not sure how people
who don't have the background know whether it would help you or
not--they can at least offer you the opinion that you don't *have*
to have it to succeed, and they are right. On the other hand,
it's my experience that knowing more about it can enhance your
personal enjoyment of it. It's a very personal choice.

Good luck,
John