Year 2000 punctuation

Subject: Year 2000 punctuation
From: rebecca siegel <rebecca -at- ZLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:14:27 -0400

Hello techwriters,

I'm coming out of lurk mode to ask a question. I've searched the
archives and haven't found an answer, so I thought I'd pose the question
to you.

While editing a document that our states our company's year 2000 policy,
I began to wonder about whether I ought to i-cap and/or hyphenate "year
2000."

Which (if any of these) do you think is correct:

1) year 2000 compliant

2) year-2000 compliant

3) year 2000-compliant

4) year-2000-compliant

5) Year 2000 compliant, etc.

How would you punctuate/capitalize this phrase: "a year 2000 compliant
release"?

I've checked around online and seen it used only without hypens;
sometimes "year" is i-capped and sometimes not. I've even seen it
written as "Year2000".

Is there a standard?

I'd appreciate your advice on this. If you want to send mail to me
personally, I can summarize to the list if anyone else is interested.

Thanks (in advance) for your help!

Rebecca Siegel
Logic Associates
rebecca -at- zlogic -dot- com