Subject: Summary: Truetype fonts on imagesetters
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:14:03 -0500

About a week ago, I asked for war stories concerning the
use of TrueType (TT) fonts with Postscript (PS)
imagesetters. Opinions, as always, were mixed. Some
respondents reported no problems, whereas others reported
erratic problems (PS error messages or font substitutions).
Some TT fonts are more complicated than their PS
equivalents (they use a different mathematical model), so
memory overflow errors might occur on low-end equipment.

On the whole, it appears that you really want to download
the fonts (or embed them in the PS file) to be absolutely
safe. I have some suspicions that the printer driver that
you use is very important, and that commercial-grade TT
fonts (e.g., the ones that ship with Corel products) are
less likely to cause problems than shareware fonts, but the
situation is so variable that we come to the usual bottom
line in these things: talk to your service bureau and work
with them to see how to handle the jobs. Always good
advice.