Re: Resources for Writing White Papers

Subject: Re: Resources for Writing White Papers
From: Jennifer Geaslen <jennifeg -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:44:30 -0400

Rebecca (and others who responded to me directly) want to know what a
"white paper" *is*:

There is a brief discussion of this in the archives, but those messages
really don't come to consensus. The one clear consensus was that the term
"white paper" is used to describe documents in several different
industries. Each industry seems to definin its own particular contents of
the white paper.

In my situation (the computer industry) it seems that white papers are used
to say
the X product is the premier product for the X industry because it solves
problem X. In other words, these papers present a common problem and define
how their products solve that problem; the problem is usually specific to a
particular type of industry/organization. The white paper provides more
technical detail than a marketing brochure would, but it is being used
toward the same end: buy our product.

I was hoping someone would know of an article or book that more clearly
defines the
contents of a white paper and ways to approach the writing. Unfortunately,
haven't heard anything! I guess I'll be forced to go to the library. If I
find anything of interest, I'll share it with the list.