RE(2): Standard abbreviations for colors

Subject: RE(2): Standard abbreviations for colors
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 12:10:40 -0400

One cautionary note about Barry Kieffer's helpful list of standard
abbreviations for wire colors:

These are American standards and presuppose the use of English.

Color abbreviations pose significant problems in terms of translation
and localization. My own first experience with this came when I was
reading the wiring harness diagram for a beloved (and alas long-gone)
BMW 2002tii, which used German abbreviations for wire colors.
Fortunately German is my ancestral language so I had a clue that
Sw = schwartz = black
Ge = gelb = yellow
We = weiss = white
An English-speaker can probably guess correctly on "white", but
the other two are not intuitively obvious.

Fred Ridder
f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation