Re: Information Engineer

Subject: Re: Information Engineer
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- DHC -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 07:11:08 -0500

> Or like getting a "Business degree" as a undergraduate degree. That
> to mind-not that it matters-is a graduate degree. Not anymore. But
> pity if you went to a school not known for its sports but rather-its
> academic rigor. Cappy Anderson, York, ME

It's interesting to note that the most unemployed/underemployed category
in the U.S. is the business-school graduate.

Also notable that in South Texas only 17% of high-school graduates are
functionally literate.

In 1991 I advertised for an office manager for my business in McAllen
Texas. Had more than 100 applicants. Gave them each a test with only
four questions:

1. Write the alphabet and assign a number to each letter; A=1, B=2, C=3,
etc.

2. Write your name, substituting those numbers for the letters in your
name.

3. Write the name of this business (InterAmerican Publications),
substituting those same numbers for the letters.

4. Your bank account contained $325 on March 1, 1991.
The bank charges a fee of $4 per month.
You wrote three checks: one for $115.85, one for $32.71, one for $.87.
You deposited your U.S. Government Aid to Dependent Children check for
$850 on March 14th.

How much did you have in the bank on February 1, 1994

Only one of the applicants noticed the dates--or knew that February
precedes March (can't answer the math question with the info given).

Only two of the applicants could do the math without regard for the
dates.

Five of the applicants (less than 5%) could answer the alphabet
questions.

One person with a BA in business from University of Texas--Pan American
looked at the test for about ten minutes then handed it back to me
saying, "I don't ever use the alphabet. I'm not taking that G-D test."

Political correctness dictates that I not mention the ethnicity of the
applicants. That would be "mean spirited."

NAFTA? Don't get me started!

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- dhc -dot- net
Arlington, TX