Worst Contest and bad academic writing

Subject: Worst Contest and bad academic writing
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:07:10 -0600

This is a friendly Friday notice that the April
1997 winners of the Worst-Technical-Writing-Sample
Contest were added to the COREComm site earlier
this week. (May winners should be added in a week
or so.)

A couple of new items:

Poster: I picked some of my favorite contest entries
for a poster that we featured at our booth at the
Toronto STC conference. A small PDF version of the
poster is available off our Worst Contest page.

Bad academic writing: Remeber the thread on techwr-l a
few months ago about bad academic writing? Well, I don't
want to reopen it, but you may be interested to know
that the journal /Philosophy and Literature/
has sponsored such a contest for the past few years.
The editor allowed me to print his press release with
the winners of the 1997 contest. (It is linked off our
Worst Contest page.)

Interesting sidebar: After that press release was printed
in the listserv H-RHETOR (a list I lurk on), a debate raged
for about a week because the POMO advocates felt that
they were being unfairly picked on by the contest. Others
argued that even if you understand the jargon, sometimes bad
writing is just plain bad.

Enjoy these additions.

Regards,
LaVonna

LaVonna F. Funkhouser lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
COREComm Webmaster webmaster -at- corecomm -dot- com

http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/