Re: Product name = noun or adjective?

Subject: Re: Product name = noun or adjective?
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 08:28:21 -0700

According to the woman who was formerly our corporate counsel, if you
use a product name as a noun you risk losing the "ownership" of the
name, whereas if you use it to modify a generic noun, you're safe in the
ownership.

I don't know if this is actually the case (and if it IS, I can't fathom
WHY it is...). Stylistically, I hate to refer to a product as an
extended phrase, as opposed to a nice clean noun, every time I mention
it in a publication.

Legalistically, I've been advised as above -- but I don't like it...

If you read Writer's Digest magazine, you will surely have noticed the
profusion of ads from corporations who have almost lost their product
names to the great world of "generics", who in their ads plead for you
to use their names as adjectives whenever you mention them in print. F'r
example, say "Xerox photocopy machine" instead of just "Xerox";
"Kleenex tissue" instead of just "Kleenex"; etc. etc.

---in fact, they even implore you to put a little "circle-r" after the
adjective when you use the name. Methinks that's asking a bit
much, but I do understand their fret and concern over losing control of
intellectual property.
--------
Ernie Tamminga
Director, InfoEngineering