Re: author, the verb part company halt

Subject: Re: author, the verb part company halt
From: "Accentuated Brandname Creativity, Inc." <acreatyv1 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 00:28:21 -0400

>>this weird ongoing discussion about "to author" and "to parent" and every
>>other attempt at changing the language to emphasize a particular occupation
>>or action. This illiteracy is nothing more than laziness

I must act (1).

Here, for a change (2), are some points (3) that can help (4&5) the
list (6), as a group (7), to butcher (8) and then cook (9) this joke (10)
of a proposition (11). Author has been a verb for over 400 years; butcher,
cook, doctor, advocate, and soldier are pretty long in the tooth too. Same
for parent, as Ms. Price notes.

>I can't think of an existing
>synonym for "to parent" so it meets the test of parsimony (don't coin
>a new word when a perfectly good existing one will do.).

My, my. Meet, test, coin, word, and will are nominal verbs too.

And lest we forget, the test of parsimony is not law.

I doubt this has been less than Mary bargained for. Time to put the thread
to rest? Or will it take another couple of needles, jabs, bruises, slices,
and cuts? (You count them; I'm throwing in the towel, and that's a wrap at
this end.)

Chuck Brandstater
acreatyv1 -at- earthlink -dot- net

P.S. - and that's the name of that tune