Re: Tech Writers and Programming [revisited]

Subject: Re: Tech Writers and Programming [revisited]
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:53:43 -0400

I think Michelle is on the right track here. I think that there would
be
great benefit to the two general courses she suggests, particularly
if they manage to strike a good balance between the general concepts
and the details of how things are done in common programming
languages. It's difficult to teach about conditionals or loops without
some reference to language-specific implementations, but it's all
too easy to get mired down in the details of those implementations.

For tech writers, I think the most useful complement to the general
courses would be a series of short, language-specific courses that
focus primarily on the structure, syntax, and terminology of a specific
language without getting into a lot of discussion of programming
technique. I think the important goals for a tech writer are the
ability to read code well enough to get the gist of a program and
the ability to spot syntax or structure errors in code samples
that are given to us. If a tech writer needs to be able to write
code examples, there are plenty of conventional programming
classes that can teach the necessary skills.

MOO,
Fred Ridder
f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com
Senior Technical Writer