Re: Is it just me? S/W doc question

Subject: Re: Is it just me? S/W doc question
From: BeckyF <BeckyF -at- BRISTOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:14:32 -0400

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wrote:
> When you're documenting an application, and it changes, is there
> a procedure in place to notify all concerned? Or do you just
> find out after you've written the chapter, and then you have to
> rewrite it?

Working closely with the development team is very important, and I wish you
success in your efforts to convince management of this fact. But even when you
work as an integral part of the team, there still may be changes that you
aren't aware of. One way to make sure you know about all changes is to use the
configuration management tool that the developers use. The developers here use
ClearCase and our build manager set it up so that whenever a developer checks
in a change, I get an email notification that includes the file changed and
the developer's check-in comments. I get a lot of email messages, especially
late in the development cycle, but it usually only takes a few seconds to
determine whether the change affects documentation.

Cheers,

Becky
beckyf -at- bristol -dot- com