Re: Avoiding Disaster

Subject: Re: Avoiding Disaster
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:24:32 -0500

Geoff Lane wrote:

> What about the legal position? In my understanding, the instructions
> must adequately cater for all foreseeable eventualities, including possible
> misuse. If they do not then the supplier is liable for any and all damages
> incurred (at least, that's the case under EEC legislation).

All foreseeable eventualities is a pretty heavy burden if you have
anything remotely complex (which we do). Is there a web site someplace
that has the code (as in legal code, not computer code) that specifies
these things?

By the way, there is some legal precedence for this in the states. If I
recall a pre-pre-law class I took in college, corporate liability was
greatly expanded in this country when some college guys were having a
kegger (beer party with kegs of beer) and pumped the keg until it
exploded. The deciding court held that the beer company, the keg
company, and the distributor were responsible not only for the proper
use of the keg, but for the foreseeable misuse, which included pumping
it until it exploded. (I think that's where the cork in the side of the
keg came from, but I could be wrong.)

As for the poodle story, I think it's an urban legend.

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

Gianluca Pagliuca! (SportsCenter term)