Re: ATM vs. TrueType

Subject: Re: ATM vs. TrueType
From: "Perleberg, Chris" <cperlebe -at- PPDPOST -dot- KS -dot- SYMBIOS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:30:00 CDT

>> There is, however, a problem, if you are using Acrobat Distiller in
>> Windows 95. If you generate a PDF file from a Postscript file, where the
>> original document contained Truetype fonts, the resulting PDF file will
>> not be searchable, because the Truetype fonts are stored as outlines
>> only. To create a PDF file with searchable text you need ATM fonts.
>
>I've heard this before; however, we have tested and found this to be untrue
>(at
>least in our experience). We use True Type fonts, FrameMaker 5.1.2 for
Win95,
>Acrobat Distiller, and Postscript. We also completely removed ATM from all
our
>tech comm PCs.

I don't know about the search problem, but my experience with True Types is
that the resultant pdf file is virtually unreadable -- the fonts look like
some kind of chicken scratches, and a sick chicken at that. And then I can't
even fix 'em with Exchange because Exchange can't find 'em. I have to use
ATM fonts to get everything to work right.

Chris Perleberg
Symbios Logic Inc.