Re: ATM vs. TrueType

Subject: Re: ATM vs. TrueType
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 14:50:22 -0400

One of these people said:

> There is, however, a problem, if you are using Acrobat Distiller in
> Windows 95. If you generate a PDF file from a Postscript file, where the
> original document contained Truetype fonts, the resulting PDF file will
> not be searchable, because the Truetype fonts are stored as outlines
> only. To create a PDF file with searchable text you need ATM fonts.

I've heard this before; however, we have tested and found this to be untrue (at
least in our experience). We use True Type fonts, FrameMaker 5.1.2 for Win95,
Acrobat Distiller, and Postscript. We also completely removed ATM from all our
tech comm PCs.

In the PDFs we create, we can search for any word in a file and find it on a
Win95 machine or on a UNIX machine. The test machines were outside our
department and the PDFs were read off a CD-ROM, also created outside of our
department.

I'd like to know if we are missing some variable here......maybe the above
statement is true if using a non-Adobe word processor???

Thanks,

Phil

Phillip C. Wilkerson
Technical Communications Manager