Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?

Subject: Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:57:58 -0500

JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:

> I didn't get the idea that Geoff was suggesting we bill ourselves as
> secretaries (though it would be nice to get flowers once a year). Just that
> that's where the unitiated might start. At which point we and/or the temp
> agency would begin the process of their (financial) education....
>
> However, it should be pointed out that both Manpower and Kelly have
> 'technical' wings. My suspicion is that both pay less than conventional
> consulting firms. (I don't even want to THINK about their mark-ups.)

But Geoff wrote "I suspect that lots of small businesses don't know the
first thing about techwhirling agencies, and immediately think
'secretarial' when they think about writing" and then went on to suggest
that we confirm this misguided thinking by taking temporary positions
with these companies. If a company thinks "secretary" does it matter if
you're thinking "writer"?

Your point about temp agencies' technical wings is a good one though.
Perhaps this is what Geoff was driving at?

(Geoff, I apologize if I've misunderstood your post.)

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019