Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?

Subject: Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 16:17:20 -0400

In a message dated 97-05-23 14:12:59 EDT, svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM
(Stephen Victor) writes:

<< I don't mean this as a flame, but I don't see how this could help a
technical writer's career. Is there a reason a writer should temp as a
secretary between contracts, rather than, say, as a construction worker? >>
I didn't get the idea that Geoff was suggesting we bill ourselves as
secretaries (though it would be nice to get flowers once a year). Just that
that's where the unitiated might start. At which point we and/or the temp
agency would begin the process of their (financial) education....

However, it should be pointed out that both Manpower and Kelly have
'technical' wings. My suspicion is that both pay less than conventional
consulting firms. (I don't even want to THINK about their mark-ups.)

Anyone ever tried them? What's the story on rates?

Jim C.
Los Angeles