Re[2]: Linking to other's pages

Subject: Re[2]: Linking to other's pages
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:34:57 -0500

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't Ticketmaster get increased
exposure for its service by the link?

Maybe. I wouldn't take it as a given, though. It's hard to find someone
walking around upright who hasn't heard of Ticketmaster by now, at least
here in the US. After saturation, there's little benefit to increased
exposure.

If so, why should they object?

This is only a guess, but it might be that Ticketmaster is receiving
revenue from advertisers based on hits on their pages. If it's based on
their "front door" page, then anything that bypasses it is lost money. If
it's based on concert calendar pages, then anything that bypasses them is
lost money. They might be trying to use the ticket sales business as a
carrot to obtain advertising which would offset the web site costs.

From a different viewpoint, it might be an issue of branding. Ticketmaster
has worked to build up their brand. The link on Seattle Sidewalk might make
it seem like they are allied with Ticketmaster in this venture, and
Ticketmaster wants to avoid giving that impression.

Ticketmaster might see it as Seattle Sidewalk using Ticketmaster's brand
recognition in order to build Seattle Sidewalk's own visibility. By using
the link, Seattle Sidewalk is in effect using Tickmaster's reputation and
services to build their own brand, and Ticketmaster might see this as a
service they should be remunerated for. (If you ride someone's coattails,
do you have a responsibility to tip the driver?)

It's all speculation on my part. What it comes down to is that Ticketmaster
sees linking to their site as something they should be paid to permit. Like
I said, whether their attitude is rational isn't the issue. That's
something that can be argued for millenia without a clear conclusion being
reached. The issue is how many more sites will follow suit, and how we
should now build sites in this brave new world.

Anyway, this is only *barely* germane to the list. I just wanted to toss
the heads-up out for all of you who were building web pages. The paradigm
may be about to shift again.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224