Re: HTML and PDF files

Subject: Re: HTML and PDF files
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:51:13 -0500

Mitman, Rikki wrote:

> There seems to be a marked preference for HTML over PDF, and I'm
> wondering why. My experience with each is admittedly limited; however,
> since PDF files preserve your formatting and present consistently (not
> according to browser settings), it seems like that would be the better
> choice. What gives?

On the net, viewing pdf files is a bit of a pain because you have to
download and install a viewer program (ok, you only have to do that
once, but the extra effort is a deterrent for many). Then you have to
download the .pdf file before you can even view it. Viewing HTML, by
comparison, is almost instantaneous.

When distributing documents, file size is an important consideration.
pdf files are fairly large, while html files are relatively small ASCII
text files. Graphic files are the most sizeable part of an HTML
document. Of course (recalling the Frame graphics thread of a few days
ago), with pdf files, there are no separate graphics files to worry
about.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019