Re: HTML and PDF files

Subject: Re: HTML and PDF files
From: Dave Meek <meekd -at- WSERVER -dot- DO -dot- LOSRIOS -dot- CC -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:16:53 -0700

At 01:36 PM 5/21/97 -0500, Rikki Mitman wrote:
>There seems to be a marked preference for HTML over PDF, and I'm
>wondering why. My experience with each is admittedly limited; however,
>since PDF files preserve your formatting and present consistently (not
>according to browser settings), it seems like that would be the better
>choice. What gives?
>
>Thanks.

CAVEAT: My experience with PDF is severely limited. With that in mind:

PDF files are usually larger than HTML files. Larger means more download
time. Also, PDF files *might* not be searchable external to the document
and Acrobat Reader (I still haven't found a definitive answer on this),
though you should be able to get around this with an HTML "front page" that
has links to PDF documents.

As a rule of thumb, use PDF for documents having:
Extensive use of formatting
A variety of fonts
Extensive use of display features, such as graphics
A need to print with formatting maintained

Use HTML for documents having:
Simple pages
Little or no formatting