Re: Rates and Raves

Subject: Re: Rates and Raves
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 01:03:03 -0400

Some concrete data is available around the Net. Check www.dice.com for your
region and search the job postings for "technical writer" and "contract".
Some (not most) list hourly rates.

Based on this, other similar on-line listings, offers I've received and info
from people who've worked around Los Angeles longer, it seems the hourly rate
ranges from just under $30 to $50. With no particular logic that I can
identify (one company was offering $30/hour for a job that required very
specific technical knowledge.)

I know of several people doing work for (not necessarily in) the San
Francisco area who are getting as much as $60. One is sub-contracting out to
others, so presumably she's getting even more than that (from a very large
company).

Does that seem right to others in the area?

Jim C.
Los Angeles