Re: desparately seeking java-based help

Subject: Re: desparately seeking java-based help
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:54:09 -0700

Ruth Glaser wrote:

>BTW, is anyone else really irritated by NetHelp and HTML Help being represented
>as platform independent? Technically they are. However, they aren't *browser*
>independent.

Irritated??? Me???? Nah... Infuriated. Livid, maybe??? Seeing red and
spitting nails??? Yeah. But irritated? No, not me, not hardly! ;-)

>I find it amazing that java is fast becoming the programming environment
>of choice, primarily because it is platform and browser independenty, yet we
>technical communicators have no similar platform/browser independent
>development environment for online help. (Anyone else keeping their fingers crossed
>for java-based help development tools?)

I think we need to do more than keep our fingers crossed, Ruth. If we
mindlessly adopt new technologies just because they're the latest and
greatest, we'll never be better off than we are now. We've got to
discriminate and only adopt those technologies that work to our advantage.
If Java-based help turns out to be a true cross-platform solution, I for
one will jump at the chance to use it. This fallout from the current
Netscape/MS wars is all useless as far as I'm concerned and I don't see
any good reason to adopt either system any time soon.

Thanks for askin'! ;-)

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com