Fee disclosure & discrimination

Subject: Fee disclosure & discrimination
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 11:18:24 EST

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET> wrote

> Having been born with a Y chromosome (and the X one is still "intact" so far
as I'm aware), perhaps I'm blind to patterns of discrimination here, but is
there actual evidence of it...a pattern, not isolated cases, anecdotes, or
gripes?

It could be that you're blind to such discrimination. Maybe
those of us who have experienced it can help. Patterns are
made up of lots of isolated cases.

Most of the workplace discrimination and general nastiness I
have experienced dealt directly with my pregnancies. I have
never known a pregnant man; however supportive a man is of
his partner's pregnancy, I don't see how he could be
discriminated against because of it. Maybe that's my blind
spot.

Anyway, I can understand your ignorance of sex-related
discrimination. I didn't see any anti-Catholic prejudice
until I was engaged to a Catholic. I didn't see any
workplace discrimination against Catholics until I became a
Catholic myself. I could go on about other types of
discrimination I didn't understand until I came to know
those who felt it, but I'm sure you all see my point.

> I find it a little hard to believe that a professional dominated
almost three-quarters by females could have a pattern of discrimination
against them. But I suppose it could be.

Whether or not your numbers are correct, it is entirely
possible for women to discriminate against women _because_
they are women. I've had a few bosses like this. We're
talking only about women here, but there have been other
cases of a member of a group discriminating against other
members of the same group. It's a sad component of our
human condition.

> That seems to be the only strong argument for revealing how much each
contractor makes. The reason for keeping it quiet isn't usually to
discriminate, but to keep the peace.

Sometimes the price of peace is too high.

> And as a final question, what can we as veterans do to help the situation?
Should we publish a list of suggested rates? Do a fee survey? Make it a
point to have agencies in for STC meetings?

Excellent questions. Fee surveys are great, but they are
heavily dependent on location, so they have to be conducted
very carefully. I'd be delighted to see an STC meeting on
agencies, contractors, and rates.

What do the rest of you say?

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the government!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *

BNA and I have a deal -- I don't speak for the company, and it doesn't
speak for me.