Re: Display

Subject: Re: Display
From: Penelope Perkins <pperkins -at- SYNERGEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:43:10 -0700

Judy,

The most recent edition of the American Heritage College Dictionary says
that "display" can be used as an intransitive verb (Oh, happy day!) and
that this usage is specific to computer science (meaning: to provide
information or graphics on a screen).

You are correct in suspecting that until quite recently it was not
considered correct to use "display" without an object. Now, whenever
anyone criticizes my usage, I trot out the American Heritage to prove my
case. :-)

I prefer "display" to "appear"; the latter has such an aura of mystery
about it. I envision a dialog box emerging from the mist.

Penelope

Judy Morgon wrote:

> We design step-by-step user manuals. Our style is present tense. Can a
> dialog box "display" or just appear? For example:
>
> 1. Click Next. The Setup dialog box displays.
>
> (I've been told that "display" is not accurate. The dialog box
> displays what?)
>
> jmorgon -at- anacomp -dot- com

> to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
> browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

Penelope Perkins pperkins -at- synergex -dot- com
Technical Writer voice 916.853.0370
Synergex http://www.synergex.com