Bad Experiences-a lawyer opines

Subject: Bad Experiences-a lawyer opines
From: Cappy Anderson <ipsofac -at- CYBERTOURS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:52:40 +0000

I am a wannabe tech writer who enjoys reading all your insights. I also
coincidently happen to be a horrible speller who assumes no
responsibility for wrong spelling in this message. i am also an
attorney who is not fond of his profession and thusly is a techwriter
wannabe.
That said-what legal training teaches one is that there are always two
sides to a story when there is a dispute. A dispute obviously differs
from a bad experience. A bad experience may rise to the level of a
dispute because someone did not live up to the terms of contract-be it a
wriiten contract or an implied contract. An implied contract arises
from worked performed for which no writing exists.
It seems to me, based on both my own experience and those clients I
have represented, that people come in all shapes and sizes and,
concomittantly, with different degrees of emotional maturity and
integrity.
So far what I have narrated may well sound like a restatement of the
obvious. Were that so, I doubt this thread would have generated so much
response.
It seems to me that a genuine a statement of personal experience will
NOT get anyone into a legal hassle. The operative word here is genuine.
So it seems to me-the only question is if this this group is the
appropriate forum.
If I were King the anmswer would be simple. This list would be
appropriate only if an inquiry was framed as a question(tautology)-NOT a
statement.
Example: Has anyone ever worked for Jones & Smith? answers could be
solicted but only by E-mail back to the question asker. The question
form would not allow any elaboration as to the quality or lack thereof
of that experience.
It is simple, elegant solution to what could be, but probably would
not be a problem in the legal sense of the term.
Any regular reader who saw the same question over and over about the
same agency or employer could obviously draw their own inference.
My two 2 cents. Cappy Anderson, York, ME