Re: Word setup for manual

Subject: Re: Word setup for manual
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 08:27:48 -0500

At 08:48 AM 5/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I've had different experience. I've never used the master document feature
>(and won't given what I read on this chat line), but I have had no trouble
>with very large single files (generally large because of graphics--5-10
>meg) on my Pentium 133 with 48 megs of RAM. I use Word 7.0. The only time
>problem I encounter is re-pagination as the document grows (noticeable in,
>say, a 200-page doc--probably 20-30 secs.). And I have a very large
>normal.dot (full of abbreviations for expansion).
>
>I wonder what causes the differences in behavior.

That encapsulates the whole problem I have with Word. Whether it works in
this or that circumstance isn't the issue for me. The issue is that it isn't
reliable. You can't predict its behavior. Some people make it work; others
can't. That's not good enough for me to offer my clients. And it's not good
enough for me to quote jobs. If Word turns squirrely halfway through a
500-pager, it's too late to scream and turn around.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support