Getting Involved in the Business

Subject: Getting Involved in the Business
From: Allan Sand <asand -at- FLASH -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 10:41:04 -0700

Hello everyone,

I want to get together with several ambitious writers in the San Francisco
area to discuss the formation of a new business. This will be a co-op style
operation designed to support members to get more work at higher pay.

In 1979, I formed a similar co-op business with several graphic artists (at
that time I was a typesetter). Together, we pooled our resources and
talents. We each had special skills that complimented each other. In
addition, we had skills in common that allowed us to work together on
larger projects. Our combined capabilities helped us get a lot of good
work.

A percentage was kept by the organization to cover overhead and operational
costs -15%. (Although twice, we had to up that to 25% for a month to cover
an extraordinary expense.)

For tax purposes, each member had their own company. When the money was
received, their share was paid to that company (less the percentage). The
company filed its own tax returns and each person (as their own company)
did their own taxes.

Special promotion efforts were done cooperatively, with each person
chipping in their share for that particular program. Routine promotion was
paid by the company (ongoing advertisements, mailers, etc.)

This idea worked well for 7 years and everyone made a much better living
than if they were independent.

To get this off the ground, I need to find several talented writers and
individuals who have strong connections within the industry, and who want
to establish a business presence in Silicon Valley. Once started and
stable, the next step will be to promote the business to nationwide
prominence through the Internet.

I've got the corporate organization and office facilities. Established
administrative procedures and policies are in place along with accounting
and legal support. I own a print shop to produce promotional material. To
begin promotional efforts, I've got a database of about 1500 companies with
the names of the owners and presidents, with more available. (This will be
used for an initial promotional effort.)

Please keep in mind, this is a cooperative effort -- everyone is expected
to contribute to the success of the company through input of ideas and
working together for the common good.

Email me if you are interested or just want to provide input. I will be
happy to answer questions and inquiries.

Allan Sand
( asand -at- flash -dot- net )