Word setup for manual

Subject: Word setup for manual
From: "E,T, Hull" <ethull -at- WORLDACCESS -dot- NL>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 13:59:52 +0200

Hello to all,

I will soon begin writing a technical manual of about 120 pages. This is
the first time I have done this using Word 7. I would like to get some
tips from those of you who have experience with this kind of thing. In
particular how should I set up Word to keep track of:
* section and page numbering for the table of contents
* key words with page numbers for the index
* key words with page numbers for a list of Definitions of terms
* figures with page numbers for a list of figures

Some of you talk about a "master document". What does it include and is it
handy for this kind of manual? The manual will be organized as follows:

PART ONE - TO THE OPERATOR

* General introduction
* Climate and process control. (Here we give the operator insight into the
whole process.)
* General description of the equipment
* Operating instructions.
* Trouble shooting
* 20 most often asked questions
* error messages explained
* what to do if ...
* Maintenance
* preventive maintenance schedule (weekly, monthly, yearly etc.)
* Manufacturer support
* Help desk
* Contact numbers and addresses for dealers etc.
* Definitions of terms

PART TWO - TO THE INSTALLER

* Introduction to the Installation guide
* Drawing/photo of the unit showing
* controls
* connections
* all other items mentioned in the text
* What needs to be installed; list in order of installation. For each
item:
* Where is it
* How to install it
* Circuit diagrams
* List of replaceable and critical parts

Thanks,
Ed Hull