Re: on the fly

Subject: Re: on the fly
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:06:28 -0400

Beverly Parks <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL> said:
>Take 4-wheel drive vehicles, for instance. On-the-fly 4WD simply
> means that you don't have to stop what you are doing (driving) in order
> to engage 4WD. Old 4WD systems required you to stop the vehicle, get
> out, and manually lock the hubs.

Beverly:
You are right; an additional shade of meaning for "on the fly" implies that the
second action is EASY to perform and without having to stop the first action.
The 4WD example is perfectly clear. This may be the closest anybody has come to
the actual meaning.....

Also, I promise this is the last time I'll respond to this thread "on the fly."
Now back to the first action--my weekly status reports.....

Phil

Phillip C. Wilkerson
Technical Communications Manager
Allen Systems Group, Inc.