Re: Technical Writing Books

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Books
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 13:14:47 +0000

> "Click" is a pet peeve of mine. You do not "click" a
> button. You click a *mouse* button to *select* a GUI
> button. Since there are many ways of selecting an object
> (mouse, accel key, etc.), I always write "Select the blahblah
> button" instead of "Click" -- that way, I let the user
> decide how they want to select it.

While "click" probably isn't the best word to use, I don't know if
"select" is any clearer (more clear?). "Select" has other
connotations (such as selecting text or graphic, etc. before you
manipulate it) and seeing "select" when I expect to see "click"
might be confusing, or at least distracting. Once something becomes a
standard it's hard to change it just because it's wrong! :-)

Tracy