Re: WinHelp popup problem

Subject: Re: WinHelp popup problem
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 07:47:00 -0700

At 03:56 PM 5/14/97 -0700, I wrote:
>I'm using Doc-To-Help 1.6 (yeah, I know it's an old version) and having
>a problem with Help popups. The conversion/compile process seems to
>work OK, and the popups display when clicked. The problem is that some
>of the information in the popup topic isn't shown in the popup window.
>I've checked the DOC and RTF files and the information is there in the
>right place and topic, but when the viewer displays the compiled Help,
>the final paragraph of the popup text isn't shown. This is random - it
>doesn't happen to all popup topics.

Several people have suggested that I check the Keep With Next property.
I have and that's not the problem. The styles that are applied to the
popup text don't include that attribute (I checked). Besides, if they
did, the compiler would generate an error or warning.

The topics are "Tips" for performing certain procedures. They have a
Heading (without the Keep with Next property), followed by paragraphs
that are either bullets or just plain text. The part that's missing is
the last paragraph (sometimes two). That's why I'm trying to find out
if there's a limitation on the number of characters in a popup.

This is a Help system I inherited when my company recently purchased a
competitor (my first Doc-To-Help project - I've used RoboHelp for over
three years and never had this problem). I wasn't in on the design
phase - I would have set things up quite differently. So I'm trying to
wrap up the changes and get the next release out the door in a week or
so. What I've done for now is to direct the problem popups to a
secondary window. I hate the lack of consistency - some Tips will pop
up and some will go to a window because I don't have time to change them
all.

Thanks to the many of you who tried to help. Any further suggestions
would be appreciated!