Re[2]: Agencies-response

Subject: Re[2]: Agencies-response
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 08:04:02 -0500

From: Arlen P Walker on 05/14/97 08:04 AM

To be very crass about it, 50 percent mark-up on a product is not
outrageous. And in this context, the TW is the product. (By the
way, I suspect it was way below that on my projects with them.)

Jim makes a very valid point here. I wonder if anyone who gets upset at
this kind of markup buys books at their local Half-Price Books store? That
book you buy for $4.98 (or $7.98, or whatever) cost them about 25 cents
tops. If you're skeptical, try this experiment: take a couple of books that
you want to get rid of off your shelf and sell the books to them (unless
they're fantasy/SF -- give me first shot at those ;{>}). Count your money.
Now go back in a couple of weeks and see what they've priced them at. (This
is not meant to be a dig at HPB. They have some good reasons for such a
high markup.)

Throughout many industries a 50% markup is normal. Trace the price of
software through the channels.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224