Job postings: are they really declining?

Subject: Job postings: are they really declining?
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:02:13 -0700

Several people have mentioned recently that job postings to the list are
declining. Because it is such an important part of this list (not that
I'm looking, but I like the security of any non-classified sources I can
find), I decided to see if this claim was true.

So I went to the archives and looked through each week's listings for
Jan-Sept 1996 and Jan-May (week2) 1997 (would have done all of last
year, but the time was really racking up) and did a quick and dirty
count of all job posts--see the results below. (Although others may use
different counting methods--see notes--and come up with somewhat
different totals, I think the ratio would be the same.)

1996 1997
Jan 33 Jan 25
Feb 19 Feb 43
Mar 24 Mar 29
April 44 April 38
May (1st part) 7 May (1st part) 13
--------------------------
Total 127 Total 148

May (2nd part) 21
June 39
July 44
Aug 33

Notes:

*I counted everything, jobs for writers, editors, help developers, web
designers, managers, even one or two developer types, and two
internships. I didn't differentiate between full time, part time,
temporary, contract, or freelance. Some were posted by companies,
others by recruiters.

*I may have counted duplicates if jobs were posted more than once over
more than a week. However, I didn't count postings simply adding or
correcting information--these were easy to spot.

*Re: posts with more than one position/multiple posts for multiple
positions by the same person. Each post counted as one.

JOB POST BASHING

Also--while I was there, I looked for post bashing. This seems to be a
new habit--all taking place this year. Although I didn't look at Sept
through December last year, I found virtually no instances in Jan
through August 1996, except some complaints about recruiter postings
(apparently the Bay area gets inundated with these) and a couple of
comments what were clearly meant (and were taken as such) to open a
discussion, not bash, AND the thread name was changed. This year, there
have actually only been 2 or 3 bashing instances. The "top performer"
instance got by far the most discussion, about 40 posts--although only 4
or 5 were actually negative, most were bashing the bashers.