Tech Writing Plus

Subject: Tech Writing Plus
From: Eric Peterson <Eric_Peterson -at- WWSCAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:31:19 -0400

Eric Ray wrote:

" For example, I thoroughly enjoy teaching and
training, and tolerate tech support in limited quantities. I'm
also fairly good at each of the above. I took a _technical writing_
job because I wanted to do more writing and get better at writing
while spending less time teaching, training, and doing tech support.
(I made this quite clear when I interviewed.)"

Are all Erics alike? This described me a year ago - eight years of tech
support and training under my belt, and wanting to shift the focus to tech
writing, which was the part of my job I most enjoyed.

Mr. Ray went on to say that he got pegged as a trainer, which then took the
focus of his time. I've been lucky - the job I got is mostly tech writing,
even though I am also THE trainer. Training doesn't take up too much of my
time, and sometimes the training part of the job sends me to interesting
places (like San Francisco in a couple of weeks).

I also am called upon to do tech support, but tech support was the main
focus of my employment up til this job and the part I wanted to drop! So
it's minimal here, and that's fine. We're too small a company to divvy the
chores up yet.

This is my first (I think) delurking. I love the list, and the MS
Word/Adobe postings have been particularly helpful and relevant.
- Eric Peterson
Executech (New York City)