Re: on the fly

Subject: Re: on the fly
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:59:41 -0500

Cathy Carr wrote:

> We've tended to use the adverbial phrase "on the fly" a good bit in our
> documentation at my company, as in "this feature updates your
> gobbledy-gobbledies on the fly."
>
> Do you think this phrase is in common use as computer jargon, so folks know
> what it means? I've had varying responses from my programming pals.
>
> And can an anyone suggest an alternative word or phrase to "on the fly"?
> For one thing, I'm in a quandary about whether to hypenate it. Looks dumb
> either way. :-)
> Reply to me at ccarr -at- ovid -dot- com if you like. Thanks.

I've always disliked this expression. I suppose it's a fairly common
piece of jargon, but since it's vague and imprecise, I'd avoid it like
the plague. (Oh, another cliche.) Where does "on the fly" come from
anyway? Is it a military expression, related to flying or paratrooping
or something?

Whenever I hear the expression, I immediately get a quite literal visual
image of...well, the zipper area of a pair of pants.

Since the expression is used arbitrarily to mean "as needed" or
"immediately" or "in real time" (a bit jargonish as well), why not try
one of those phrases instead, depending on how it's being used in a
particular context?

Good luck,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019