Re: Radical Idea?

Subject: Re: Radical Idea?
From: Mike Collier - SSG <MikeCol -at- SBSERVICES -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:51:21 -0400

I agree with your thinking. Personally, I prefer variety in a work
setting, and the opportunity to train as well as write appeals to me.

A couple of caveats: a) You'll have to make sure your tech writers have
demonstrated training skills (developed and delivered training, and /or
taught technical communication); and b) I think that the tech support
function could easily become full time. So then you'd have to plan for
the possibility of asking one of your tech writers to move into a
dedicated tech support role, which is something I know I wouldn't want.
As the business expands, I don't know how easy it will be to bounce
several tech writers around to three different roles.

A key advantage of having a tech writer involved in the training at the
start is that he or she can plan the training with an eye towards
training the users properly to reduce the number of tech support calls,
and to improve and modify the product documentation.

Michael Collier
mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com
SOFTBANK Services Group
Buffalo, NY