Getting Electronics Through Customs

Subject: Getting Electronics Through Customs
From: NANCY KAMINSKI <NKAMINS1 -at- FAIRVIEW -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 09:47:21 -0600

I just called the customs office at the Twin Cities International Airport
(which is a port of entry) and asked about getting one of those forms
saying you already own the camera/laptop/whatever you bring home
from Canada.

The guy laughed and said, "Don't worry. We know people don't go to
Canada to buy electronics. You can get it cheaper at Best Buy, right here.
Now if you were coming home from Korea or Japan..."

I have gone in and out of Canada and France in the last two years
carrying my hideously expensive Minolta SLR camera and lenses, and
have never had any questions asked. So on the basis of that, and what
the customs guy said, I'm not gonna worry.

FWIW, YMMV

Nancy Kaminski
Fairview Hospital and Healthcare Services
nkamins1 -at- fairview -dot- org