Re: Re[2]: age discrimination

Subject: Re: Re[2]: age discrimination
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 17:35:31 -0400

Re: general discussion on including dates on resumes

It never occurred to me to calculate someone's age from
dates on their resume. Now it's going to be on my mind,
just like in my freshman psych class when the prof told
us "do not think of a white bear." We couldn't think of
anything else! ;) (Just in case: I'm kidding!)

However, when information is omitted, like dates or schools,
I become suspicious. (Maybe it's my nature.) I either think
(1) the person is hiding something or (2) the person is
careless.

(Although, after hearing some of the comments
here, maybe I won't be so suspicious... :)

I prefer to have the facts. Maybe it's the tech writer in me.
Vague descriptions drive me crazy. I should add "relevant"
to "facts". SATs (or ACTs, etc.) are irrelevant to my evaluation.
Of course, to the person submitting the resume, it's up to
you to guess what facts are "relevant" to the reviewer. Using
common sense and following commonly accepted standards has worked
well for me.

One suggestion I do have for folks who are job hunting is to
remember that your resume is the first writing sample your
potential employer is going to see. Design/proof it accordingly
(the flip side is don't overdo it). Make a good first impression.

A.
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer