Re: Levels of Edit question

Subject: Re: Levels of Edit question
From: Helen Weeks <sashxw -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:16:02 GMT

In article <s371cb57 -dot- 099 -at- MEDISPAN -dot- COM>, Colleen Adams <PD33 -at- medispan -dot- com>
writes:

>I've been following the thread on estimating editing times and want to
>know... what are your opinions on the differences between
>"copyediting" and "proofreading?"

I'm an editor. Many years ago I was a proofreader. They were two
different jobs. (We no longer have a separate group of proofreaders.)
Proofreading always involved reading a corrected copy of the document
against the edited/marked-up copy. We would proofread to make sure that
all the editing corrections had been incorporated. Of course, proofreaders
occasionally found things that the editors missed, and the proofreaders
could mark those things. However, the proofreader was always working
with a galley, and we kept any editing on the galley to a minimum.

When we start using online editing tools, I'm not sure how we'll
define proofreading or whether it will be necessary at all.

Helen
--
Helen Weeks (sashxw -at- sas -dot- com)
Project Manager for Editing Services