Rebate of Sales Taxes in Toronto

Subject: Rebate of Sales Taxes in Toronto
From: R2 Innovations <R2innovations -at- MYNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 09:01:47 +0000

Ontario is blessed (cursed) with two taxes on many items - the
Provincial Sales Tax (8%) and the Goods and Services Tax (7%). The
PST is levied by the Province of Ontario and the GST is levied by the
Government of Canada.

The rebate details are as follows:

Provincial Sales Tax

I doubt if many of you will qualify for a rebate of this tax as the
_tax_ amount per invoice must be in excess of $50.00, which means
your purchase must be in excess of $625.00. PST is _not_ charged on
accommodations. If you do require the forms for PST rebate, the
Toronto Chapter will have 300 copies of the appropriate form at the
main Hospitality Booth. Just come over and request one.

Goods and Services Tax

This is the one most of you will be able get refunds for. The
Toronto Chapter has secured copies of the government's
information booklet, including the rebate form, and they will be
included in your registration kit along with lots of other neat
stuff.

The members of the Toronto STC Chapter have tried to think of every
item that you, our visitors, might have a problem with and have
hopefully come up with the solutions for you. Our desire is that
your visit to our city will be pleasant and rewarding and we are going
to be very visible, so ask us if you have a problem, we'll try our best to
provide you the solution.

Ralph E. Robinson
Border Issues Manager
44th STC Annual Conference Committee
Toronto STC Chapter
R2 Innovations
Specializing in ISO 9000 documentation and implementation.
Author of "Documenting ISO 9000: Guidelines for Compliant
Documentation", available from R2 Innovations on the WWW
at http://www.myna.com/~r2innovn/.