Re: Numbered Heradings in Word

Subject: Re: Numbered Heradings in Word
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 18:21:26 -0400

Jim is on the right track when he suggests using the SEQ field code,
but there are a couple of gotchas to remember. BTW, this rather
messy procedure should be familiar to fellow old-time users of
Microsoft Word from the days before autonumbering was added
to the feature set.

First, you have to give each numbering level a separate sequence name.
IOW, the chapter digit corresponds to one sequence, the section digit
to another, the subsection digit to another, etc.

Second, the field codes for subsequent uses of a higher-level
number (e.g. the chapter digit in a section or sub-section number)
must be coded to pick up the current value rather than incrementing
the sequence. For example, the 1.0 heading establishes the chapter
number (1), so sections 1.1, 1.2, etc. all have to use a code of the
form {SEQ chpt_num \c} to display the current sequence value without
incrementing. The section digits, though, would use sequence fields
_without_ the \c switch so that they _do_ increment.

Third, you have to remember to explicitly reset the section sequence
at the start of each chapter, the subsection sequence at the start of
each section, etc. The basic field for this is {SEQ seq_name \r #},
where # is the number you want to reset to. Since your scheme
displays 0-numbered section headings, just set # to 0 and you're
done. For sub-sections, if you do not use 0-numbered headings,
you can either reset to 1 in the first subheading, or reset to 0 in
the preceding higher-level heading while using the \h switch to
hide the result; in the latter case, the first displaying sequence
field will increment from 0 to 1.

Fred Ridder
f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com
Senior Tech Writer
Dialogic Corporation
Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy...
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com